Explorer Scouts are the fourth section in the Scouting family and are open to young people between the ages of 14 and 18 years old. The section is District based instead of being a part of a Group.
Explorer Scouts have the opportunity to take part in adventurous activities, local conservation projects, creative projects, camps and expeditions, community support…the list is endless! Explorer Scouts can gain awards – from nationally recognised governing bodies (e.g. BCU for canoeing
Explorer Scouts also have the opportunity to camp and go away on expeditions that will challenge and test them. This is an essential part of Explorer Scouting and a good opportunity for them to organise activities and stretch their limits.
The Young Leaders’ Scheme is just one of the exciting programme elements in the Explorer Scout section. They are Explorer Scouts who choose to devote a large proportion of their time in Scouting to service in another section. The Young Leaders’ Scheme helps Explorer Scouts to develop and grow as individuals and allows them to make a valuable contribution to their community and give service to others.
Within Thurrock we have 5 Explorer Units:
- Aquila: Sundays 18:30 – 20:30 at Alf Lowne Scout Centre, Richmond Road, Grays.
- Fornax: Alternative Wednesdays 19:00 – 21:00 at Woodside Academy, Grangewood Avenue, Grays.
- Pyxis: 1st, 3rd and 5th Thursdays 20:00 – 22:00 at Ockendon Scout HQ, Tamarisk Road, South Ockendon.
- Scorpius (Young Leaders): Each Quarter at various locations around the District.
- Zenith: Mondays 20:00 – 22:00 at Oak Lodge, Thors Oak, Stanford-le-Hope.
The units all have their own exciting programmes but will regularly join together to provide even more activities and opportunities to the young people.
For more information on Explorer Scouts in Thurrock contact:
District Explorer Scout Commissioner